The government provides funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is allocated to all primary schools.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. The Government will continue investment in the Primary PE and Sport Premium, as announced in December 2015 through 'Sporting Future: A New Strategy for an Active Nation'.
The provision of this ring-fenced funding demonstrates the importance placed on PE and school sport by the Government.
• To develop or add to the PE and sport activities that the school already offers.
• To make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
• To hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers.
• To provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively.
• To introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport.
• To support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs.
• To run sport competitions.
• To increase pupils’ participation in the School Games.
• To run sports activities with other schools.
2022/23 Sports Funding information
Click here to visit the Department for Education sports funding page for primary schools.